Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Poetry as a Spiritual Practice of the Heart-SJ1stT

As a traveler on a spiritual journey, I have often faced stops along the road that left me grappling for ways to express the depths of human experience. Whether these stops have been heart-wrenching or joy-filled, it is with faith that I have moved forward. Poetry has been a beautiful way to express the inexpressible. Poetic writing often rises as a spiritual practice of the heart.



When I read the above quote by Robert McDowell, I paused to reflect on how this quote applies to my life and my practice. I recall starting my journey as a lifelong writer in my childhood years. I found the power of word weaving and continued to write throughout high school and even toyed with the idea of getting a Masters degree in creative writing. Poetry was the platform to express the echoes of my heart but I was not confident enough at that time to believe in a path as a professional writer. It has taken years of practice to understand the power of voice and vulnerability in writing and with faith and hope be able to send my thoughts out for public viewing. 


"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." -Hebrews 11:1

When I found this scripture quote offered by fellow writer, Glenda Funk, in one of her monthly slices I decided to make it a cornerstone of the SJfirstT blog post. Not only is faith a predominant part of my life but so is hope. It is the faith of believing in the unseen with a hopeful heart that makes the journey worth the challenges along the way. 

Poetry is the soul's expression of the journey onward within a world of flux and change. It rises in a stream of conscious awakenings as a spiritual practice of the heart. 



You can see an enlarged version of this Buncee here.

It is with faith in the power of community writing that I dedicate this Spiritual Journey first Thursday post and open the site up for commentary and reflection from my fellow SJfirstT travelers. With the topic, Poetry as a Spiritual Practice of the Heart, I salute National Poetry Month.

Thank you, Irene Latham, for leading 
the Spiritual Journey first Thursday community of writers.

💗💕💗💕💗💕💗💕💗💕💗💕

No comments:

Post a Comment